http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/124/asInline.html

Voting

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Only Child??

This has been a very unusual week. 3 of my 4 kids boarded a Southwest airplane on Monday headed to Denver, Colorado for the next 16 days. They made it to Denver with no problems, and I am positive it is because I prayed the entire time they were in the air that they would arrive safely. They arrived 25 minutes ahead of schedule and the person picking them up was still en-route to the airport. How many flights have you been on where they actually arrive Early?? Needless to say I spent 25 minutes biting my nails, as Son 1 of 3 made his way to baggage claim with his littlest brother and his little sister in tow. The pictures swirling around in my head were not pretty or calming. I pictured fighting, arguing, and the general "I am not doing what you say" attitude all the way to baggage claim and that would be if Son1 didn't just throw up his hands and walk off and leave them! Needless to say, they made it to baggage claim and got their luggage and met their ride with no calls from airport security about abandoned children at DIA.
So now I have gone from a mom of 4 kids to a mom of an only child (temporarily of course). Son 2 of 3 is now an only child and quite happy about it. He feels his life is absolutely perfect, at the moment, he can play video games and watch TV without interruption. He is also learning that as only child you have nobody to "blame the mess on", and all the chores that are usually divided between the siblings are now up to him. Mom doesn't bake as many cookies or brownies because their aren't as many people to eat them...maybe siblings are not such a bad thing.
J and I were planning a BBQ for father's day and as I was talking about getting more brats or maybe some burgers he had to remind me that we had plenty since we are currently 3 and with my parents and maybe my brother makes 6 instead of our usual 9. I am also pretty sure that when the day comes and all my children leave home I am going to have to re-learn how to cook and a batch of cookies could last a month...
I do miss the chaos and confusion and noise that having 4 kids brings. I also miss always having someone to talk to, and I miss the doorbell ringing with neighborhood kids who want to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment